Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life after the Masters

Hello to everyone who should have already given up on reading my blog and deleted it from their Google Reader.

If you're stumbling upon this entry, I'm assuming it's because you don't clean house (in the digital sense) that often. Thanks for not giving up on me -- even if that not-giving-up was accidental, rather than intentional.

This year, I've been working hard so I could do this:


Even though that "working hard" was often punctuated with frequent frozen yogurt trips and extended social media consumption [er, Facebook. Why can I not stay off of Facebook? Even when I log on to a computer to write, draft lesson plans, often my internet browser will magically go straight to Facebook. How?!). Even though all that, I made it.

And now I'm a Master.

Whatever that means.


Oh, wait. Here's what I think it means: it means I'm elegible for salaried jobs. It means I have time to cook good dinners (that's right, Rio Grande. You're going to be seeing a lot less of me). It means I'm less cranky (or at least James hopes so).

It means that, now that I'm an English master, I can finally spend some time mastering what I get to write.

Right now, I'm working on my first novel (don't be too impressed [not that you were] -- it's not even ten pages yet). I'm making it my summer goal to crank out (or carefully craft?) a book length novel. You know, with a plot. And character development. And length. And heart and soul.

For those of you out there who are writers, what is your favorite genre to write? Typically, I am a fan of nonfiction (but this summer, I'm going out of my comfort zone). Have any of you ever stepped out of your writing comfort zone successfully?

No comments:

Post a Comment