Sunday, January 2, 2011

10 in 2010

So, the new year is here, and I got to spend the last few days waiting tables for hungry celebrants. Although that took up the bulk of my time (and energy) this weekend, I was able to sneak in a little bit of celebration of my own.

2010 has been a big huge year for me. Here are just a few of the exciting things that happened to me this year:

10) Beach Trip to the "Forgotten Coast"

This summer, with my now-fiance, then-boyfriend (well, still-boyfriend, really. but why not throw in the pretentious term "fiance" for as long as you can?), J, I was able to go to the beach for the first time in almost a decade.

My parents were never the beach-bum types, and the few times we did plan family vacations to the beach, we did anything but sit on the beach. My spring breaks were never spent in Cancun (road-tripping to New England is more my speed). However, whenever J's family invited me along on a trip to Florida's forgotten coast, I was thrilled to go. I sat on the beach. Walked on the beach. Swam at the beach. Drank margaritas by the beach. Read books by the beach. Repeat. And repeat some more.

By the beach was the theme.


And we missed the beach being hit by the oil spill by just one day. And I was just thrilled.

9) First half-marathon

Toward the end of the summer, my dear friend BJ and I came up with a terrible, painful, horrendous plan: we were going to run the Columbus Half-Marathon, and we were going to train for it extensively.

13.1 miles and a couple of aching legs later, we did it.

8) One time, two times published

Not once, but twice I have had my work published.

Check out my short-short, "Dawn" in Thanksgiving Tales: True Stories of the Holiday in America AND  my Consultant Spotlight in Praxis.


7) Graduation


132 hours later, I finished my undergraduate degree in English -- Creative Writing, summa cum-laude, in honors, with honors (and yes, I'm still waiting tables).  


6) Grad School

Part of the reason I'm still waiting tables is because I'm attempting to get through grad school, sans debt. I'm studying Applied Linguistics (but am also taking some Composition and Rhetoric, as well as some Creative Writing classes).

I am loving it (though I'm often in a caffeine-induced reading-and-writing frenzy).

Here's to hoping I won't be waiting tables at the end of grad school.

5 &4)

My two best friends got married this summer, and I had the time of my life being a bridesmaid in both of their weddings.

K's wedding was super-chic and beautiful (which is fitting, because so is K!) Her wedding screamed summer with orange and pink flowers and dresses.

Photo courtesy of the talented Daniel Mcquade 


B's wedding was a blast. The picnic-style reception with dancing, canoeing, and more dancing fit  B, and her husband's laidback personalities perfectly.

So much dancing.

Each bridesmaid wore her choice of a blue dress. Becca just wanted to see a sea of blue when she looked at us.

Didn't it turn out beautifully?

3) Silver & Gold

Although I did get to spend lots of time with dear old friends, I was also able to make SO many new friends along the way this year.


2) Reformed University Fellowship

Some of the new friends I was able to meet this year, I met through RUF.

I have been so thankful for the excellent teaching I have been exposed to through RUF (more here) as well as the great friends I have made through the study.

1) Engagement


Da-da-dum! In September, the love of my life, asked me to marry him (and I said yes!

I'm so looking forward to marrying him this year, and spending the rest of our years together!

No comments:

Post a Comment